Windows Utilities for Power-Users
File-Ex 98 (v.2)
Awards & Honors
See the new File-Ex version 3, which works for all 32-bit versions of Windows.
(Click here for File-Ex for Windows 3.1x)
Take a pictorial tour of File-Ex 98!
File-Ex 98 feature summary:
Note: This version has been superceded by File-Ex version 3. However, if you are using Windows 95/98/Me and want to use long file names
in old 16-bit applications, then you must use this version. (Version 3 does support 16-bit apps in NT4/2000/XP.)
File-Ex 98 automatically adds handy file management functions to the File Open and File Save
dialogs of nearly all Windows applications, and adds support for long file names in Windows 3.x applications.
It's like upgrading all of your Windows 3.x applications to Windows 98, and then some!
- Use long file names in all of your old (16-bit Windows 3.x) applications.
- Save time looking for files: access "favorite" and "recently used" files and folders right from your file open and save dialogs, or use the Find function.
- Manage files faster by having handy file management buttons available right from the open and save dialogs.
- Expand the view -- File-Ex enlarges your file dialogs to whatever size you like, up to full screen, allowing you to see many more files at once. It does this automatically even in Windows 98, no need to resize it yourself.
- Avoid the frustration of having to start Explorer or a DOS prompt to do simple file management chores.
Other useful features:
- You'll have easy-to-use buttons added right to your application's file dialogs, making these functions available with just one click:
- Delete file or directory -- how many times have you started to open a file, and noticed some junk files that you don't need anymore?
- Copy file -- make a copy before starting to work on a new file.
- Move file -- move a file to another directory, even on another drive.
- Rename file or directory -- useful for making a backup before saving.
- Make Directory -- makes organizing new files easy, right when you're saving!
- Find files -- powerful search utility lets you search for the file you want to open.
- Drive and File Type drop-down lists are lengthened to minimize the need to scroll.
- An information bar shows the selected file's size, date, time, and attributes.
- Drop-down lists with file and directory favorites and history let you select any of the last 25 files or folders you've used in each application (plus the last 25 used by any application), or any of 100 favorite files/folders, just by clicking!
- Optionally default to the "Details" view in win95-style dialogs
- You can automatically start from the last directory used in each application, even when the application doesn't remember on its own.
- Define your own file type lists for any application.
- Have any 16-bit application use the Win95 explorer-style dialog.
- Simple "Remove" program included (just in case you decide you don't need File-Ex).
By having these functions available right in the Open/Save dialog of every program, there's no
need to switch back and forth between your application and Explorer or DOS just
to do simple file management.
"I like the program more and more since I've been using it. Absolutely great - don't know how I lived without it!"
-- G. Hjelte, Willmar, MN
See our Press Room for online reviews of File-Ex
Please see our Awards Page for awards File-Ex has won
Have you taken the pictorial tour yet?
German version information
File and configuration dialog screen shots
Requirements, revisions, solutions, and other technical details
Download a FREE trial of File-Ex 98 now! (under 400K)
Order File-Ex 98 now!